Monday, December 07, 2009

Our First Half-marathon

The race started at 645am with T on my right and denn on my left. It was crowded (30k runners) and we had to weave through the crowd to get some space to run in our usual pace. Less than 1km into the race, denn turned to me and exclaimed that the bush is out. I looked at him in bewilderment and wondered why I had to know that. But I wanted to conserve my energy so I waited for him to explain. He said that he wanted to pee and we were running into bushy areas where he could take a leak. So he excused himself and we never saw him again throughout the while race. So it was just T and I with him encouraging me that I was doing really well although I know I'm way slower than his usual pace. He was also my water boy running pass every water station to ensure that I'm kept hydrated. There were also encouragement quotes written on runners back like: "focus on beautiful memories." "every step you take, you're one step closer to the goal." "are we there yet?" I was doing pretty well until the 16th km which is where I usually stop at during training, I was so tired and I started whining about how tired I was but when T asked if I was in pain or that I felt sick, I realised I didn't have sufficient reasons to give up. So we did abit of walking and jogging for about 3km. And then when I saw the 2km-to-go mark and a girl in a pair of shorts that says NYC on her bum, I started picking up my pace and sprinted the last bit to the finishing line. The feeling of crossing that was simply amazing. Although we didn't meet our target, we aren't too far off. And what's really awesome is that we have completed the race together and now, nothing is impossible in my path. :)

0 comments: